I was driving the other day and realized that things, today, just don’t get my panties in a bunch like they used to when I was 16. If only I had the mindset I had now… but then again, that’s the journey, right?
Ah, 16. Priorities were: Does he like me? Does he know my name? Does my butt look big in these jeans? Is my hair starting to frizz? Do I need to freshen my lip gloss?
- Your curves look good! Work that ass and please stop stressing!
- Your skin and your hair are amazing and you really aren’t appreciating it enough.
- What you don’t know is that your ethnic look is actually super hot. Own it and stop trying to be something you’re not!
- Audition for everything. Goof a billion times. It will make you stronger and less nervous.
- The ultra weird dude sitting under the tree that asked you out five times. Just go out with him. You don’t have to do anything you don’t want, but it will be good for you. Just do it. He’ll probably invent something ultra cool and your kids will probably be addicted to it.
- The girl who tried to impress so hard because she was ‘popular’. Take a real look at who she is and what her morals are. Spend more time on the friends that have integrity. Trust yourself!
- I know you hate listening to your mom all of the time, but here’s the thing… she’s right!
- Write the thing you want to write. Stop being scared about what people will think.
- Believe in yourself. Stop worrying about how they will be impressed. Impress yourself first.
- You will feel alone. You will have heartbreak. You will feel bad about yourself – but it’s all fleeting. It’s all a blessing and you will be better for it. Take every experience and use it. It will all turn out to be a win if you just use it.
Writing Prompt: What would you tell your 16-year-old self if you could?
Post your response on your blog and link it up below. If you don’t have a blog, simply leave your response and/or link in the comments below.
How it works: If you submit a link, please click on the other links of those who join in and leave a comment on a few posts that really speak to you. Our goal is to support each other. If you’re feeling generous, go ahead and share their links on your social sites and let them know how you discovered their writing.
Come back for this weekly series every Wednesday.