I love the idea of resolutions. Just as much as I hate it….
I find it incredibly powerful that people all over the world feel the impulse to get their shit together on the 2nd of January giving themselves that extra day to recover from a night binge of fun or just eating pizza on the couch alone. Might as well top it off with a mimosa or 5 and get serious on the 2nd — No more bad language and decadent indulgence because while we know you will enjoy them all again come next month (or in some cases next weekend), the second day of January represents the NEW and IMPROVED YOU! So, how have you done do far? For me, I was serious when I said, I just want to be better than I was yesterday.
So here’s what I plan to do this year:
1. Allow myself to get obsessively frenetic about being healthy for at least a week. ‘Cause I am by no means immune to the influence of this New Year ritual. I am the sucker to the last degree.
2. Continue to worry. But, not worry about how much I worry. This could drastically cut down on worrying time, but still allow me the freedom of doing what comes naturally.
3. I will use “LOL” less frequently – challenge: don’t use it at all.
4. I will stop trying to discreetly check my own ass out at the gym and pretending that no one else can tell. Instead, I will be blatant about it. We’re all there for the same reason, who’s kidding who?
5. Definitely need to watch more tv on a daily basis. Last year I barely watched anything. How can I possibly induce the creativity with no tv?
6. Continue to compare myself to everyone – I’m convinced this is how I become a better me. Too easy to just compare to the yester me. Blah blah blah to that.
7. Don’t lose the fit bit! It’s barely a week into the New Year and I have already achieved a new obsession. I am not letting that shiny, demanding gadget out of my sight. Running up and down the stairs at 10pm to get in those last miles/steps and calories is quickly turning me into more of a neurotic control freak – I’m convinced this makes me a better person.
8. Complete this next novel so that I can become more comfortable with making others uncomfortable.
9. Get bigger wheels, black rims and tinted windows on my Jeep, so I can be gangsta proper style. (I’m not kidding.)
10. Here it goes. The biggest commitment of 2014. I will begin posting 365 days of funny. This means that every single day, I will take a picture and post something funny for that day. I am absolutely convinced that this will make me better than each yesterday.
So, if you are ready to follow along and maybe even participate with your own #365Funny, follow me over on Instagram (SummerFelix) to see what creativity-inducing image and one liner I’ve got for the day. And of course, if you’re game, join in and use the hashtag so I can see what you’re posting, too!