Yesterday, I had the great pleasure of sitting next to two 20 something girls while working at a coffee shop. It was like a tennis rally keeping up with their conversation. The kind that has your head turning back and forth, back and forth and the point never gets made!
The amount of energy that was put into analyzing what other people were doing, how to formulate the perfect text message to a guy, which Louis Vuitton to wear to a baseball game and what color to paint their nails was brilliantly comical. I was desperately trying to come up with a way to film this without them knowing and then sharing it on YouTube and watching the number of views climb exponentially.
But, that wouldn’t have been fair. I’m better than that?
Anyway, it got me thinking. What they are talking about is none of my business, entertaining as it was. And a lot of what they were talking about was none of their business. As much as they were fixed on the importance of why Alex would ask Melissa out and how it is that she could afford her Prada handbag – it really wasn’t going to affect the outcome of their life. Productivity for time spent at the local coffee shop for these two girls – not scaleable.
I was reminded that the following topics need not be answered by me or pressed upon by me to someone else:
1. Diet. You can eat what you want and I will eat what I want. I don’t need judgment on how I like to eat and you don’t need that either.
2. Money. How much money I make is my business and what you make is yours. Unless you are applying for a loan, filing taxes or have any other legal obligation to spill the beans – the money you make is your business.
3. Beliefs. Your beliefs are completely valid and true for you. Mine are for me as well. Unless both have accepted the invitation to discuss otherwise, please don’t try to sway me from what I believe to be true and I will honor the same for you.
4. Bad Habits. Look, I really hate that some people smoke or smack their gum, but, it’s not my bad habit to fix. If you don’t like that I eat raw cookie dough – stay out of my face when I do it. It’s my bad habit, not yours. Ain’t none of your dang bid-ness!
5. Relationships. Sometimes you are asked for advice. Sometimes a friend wants your opinion on the new guy she’s dating. If she asks, give it. If she doesn’t. Stay out! You don’t know what goes on behind closed doors of other relationships, so keep opinions on the D.L.
6. Lifestyle. Whether you like men or women or both, it’s your business. If body piercings are your thing, more power to you.
7. Parenting. Unless it’s with your husband, wife, or co-parent or unless a child is in danger, let your friends discipline their children the way they want and you do the same.
8. What Other People Think. I get it. You think because they are having these thoughts about you that it’s your business. It’s not. Just as you have the right to your thoughts, they have a right to theirs.
9. Friends. Who I choose to be friends with is… yep, none of your business!
10. Spending Habits. If I choose to spend money on a lifetime supply of flossing sticks, that’s my business. If you complain to be broke and then spend money on an expensive vacation or hair extensions… that’s all your business. Not mine.
So use this as a guideline when wondering “Why didn’t they tell me!”
If someone didn’t tell you something…. it must be because It’s None of Your Business!