First of all, I definitely sport crazy. I have all my life. But, there are different kinds of cray cray. And I’ve heard an earful of crazy recently and it’s worth blogging about.
My type of crazy leans towards weird outbursts of made up songs followed by dance moves that I’m sure no one else has seen before. It’s me and my friend sending each other voice messages with weird accents. My crazy also shows itself in ways of being overly organized and clean in the form of me running around like an energizer bunny on steroids. And then there’s the Puerto-Rican Latin side which can get pretty boisterous. Look, you don’t grow up in an Italian, Puerto-Rican family and not get loud and passionate about something as small as a piece of pizza. Crazy is in my blood.
But, let’s talk about the other kind of crazy. The kind they make movies about. The Fatal Attraction, Single White Female type crazy.
A good girlfriend of mine has found, by all definitions, a great guy. She really likes him! They’ve been dating for a good amount of time now – past the 6 month mark where the best behavior is now real behavior and things are getting serious. Now, at our age, most men have some history. They’ve been around the block (i.e. marriage, kids etc.). She knew he had kids and an ex-wife, but she freaked out a little when he casually described his ex as being crazy. “What does crazy mean?!” She said at lunch. “Will he think I’m crazy?!” “Is she the type of crazy that will come after me?!”
“Okay don’t get crazy…,” I said. “There could definitely be some legitimate reasons he is calling her crazy. But, there might also be some exaggeration.”
And in my research called living life, I realized I had some good data that she could use as a barometer for ‘crazy’ in this situation. And here’s what we came up with…. the laughs were flowing and so I knew I had to share this for Mad Monday blog.
10 Signs of Crazy:
1. She texts him pictures of herself when he never asked for it and mentions that he should be there (wherever she is) with her. This happens while he is on a date with you.
2. She tells him how great her new boyfriend and him would get along followed by “I’m only dating him because I’m lonely. I still really want to be with you.” Keep in mind they’ve been broken up for many years now.
3. She sends him pictures from his own Facebook page of he and you and remarks on how much you two seem to be in love and asks if he ever loved her that way… #facebookstalking
4. She is always pushing how important it is for them to remain friends and asks frequently if they can “meet” to discuss some very important things.
5. Never a day goes by that she isn’t sending great article reads, game scores, news of a shared friend they once had or a simple “Hey, how have you been? We never talk anymore…” type messages.
6. She is now contacting you directly whenever he is out of town and begins telling you of all the inappropriate ways he has been interacting with her. She’s telling you this because she cares about your feelings too. “You’re such a great woman.”
7. Each time you see her, you start to realize that she is… RESEMBLING YOU! She starts dressing like you and doing all kinds of things that she doesn’t usually do that you do.
8. She tries to be ultra good friends with you, while still trying to seduce your man.
9. Her children start telling you what she saw on your Facebook page… but wait, you’re not friends with her on Facebook.
10. When he doesn’t answer his text messages from her (like immediately), she texts again and again. When he still doesn’t answer, she calls. If he doesn’t answer, she calls over and over and over and over and over again.
In the end I told her there’s bound to be baggage and crazy might indeed happen. All you can do is not let it get to you. If it’s not getting to him then you’re good. It means he values you and doesn’t want to subject you to the crazy, but at least wants to make you aware for when these things happen. Do your research and listen to others. That’s your biggest clue. If you’ve already heard from a gazillion people that know her, that crazy is her pattern – trust it! There is a reason for it.