It’s not just us adults that need to whine, the kids need it to. I had a proud moment this weekend when our kids called a family meeting to order after a “non-sharing” incident to address some things that were bothering them.
In the end, here were some of the issues:
- “I feel disrespected when the other kids use my things without asking.”
- “I really really want my own room!”
- To another sibling, “I would really like it if you could hang your towel up after you shower instead of leaving it on the floor.”
- “Um, we have a presentation so that we can earn more money to do more fun things and take more trips!” Enter in the Family Fun Buck system and it was a killer presentation btw.
- “Can we play more family games like Beat the Parents?”
- “I would really love it, if you didn’t leave a room messy. If you are done with an activity, please clean up before going on to do something else?” (I wonder who that one was…)
It ended with kudos to each person and the awesomeness that they contribute. I’m not going to say anything new here that you don’t already know. It’s really just a reminder about mindset. But, the takeaway from all of this was that sometimes we focus on just the negative things that are happening. We get overwhelmed with everything that the things that aren’t going our way stand out. We forget what IS going right.
Have a glass tonight on the good stuff 🙂
P.S. We have a temporary Family Fun Buck System
While this one is on the way…
P.P.S. Happy W(h)ine Wednesday.