To honor all the moms and step-moms for Mother’s Day, I wanted to do an episode on what we think but don’t often say about our blended family experience. When I speak to new step-moms, I often get an exasperated sigh followed by some version of, “I didn’t sign up for this!”
The truth is, you did! But it’s also true that you couldn’t have possibly known all the complexities that come with step-motherhood before you signed up. Now that you’re in, breathe. It’s okay. You aren’t alone.
Today, I’ll discuss the most common concerns I hear from mothers and step-mothers of blended families. As a gift for that special woman on Mother’s Day , I’ll also give you fathers and partners some tips to show that special woman that she is loved, appreciated, and acknowledged. Listen in to hear some step-mom fine print and learn how to navigate through the crazy (but totally worth it) journey of step-motherhood.
02:00 – 04:00 – Introducing today’s topic: What moms and step-moms think but don’t say
04:00 – 08:00 – Accepting the complexities that come with step-motherhood
08:00 – 12:00 – Love, respect, and reprioritizing
12:00 – 15:30 – The importance of help, acknowledgement, and appreciation
15:30 – 22:30 – Pressure, responsibility, and navigating the extended family
22:30 – 27:30 – Boundaries and understanding that you aren’t always the priority
27:30 – 29:00 – A final takeaway and communication tip
- This is what you signed up for – you just didn’t realize the fine print!
- You’ll feel differently about your birth children and step children. That’s okay.
- Give yourself – and others – time to build trust and love.
- It’s not easy for many step-moms to enforce rules.
- Step-momming can require a reprioritization of things you used to do for yourself.
- Step-moms love acknowledgment and appreciation for the things they do.
- Pressure is heightened for women in blended families.
- Understand your responsibilities within your role and let your partner fulfill theirs.
- You may feel discomfort around the extended family – give it time and be empathetic.
- Boundaries strengthen partnerships and family bonds.
- Acknowledge and empathize with your partner’s challenges within the new dynamic.
- “You’re not expected to dive in and just love, love, love.”
- “Help and acknowledgement will keep us going with a smile on our face.”
- “Having boundaries just works.”
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always
And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast.
Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!