Today we’ve got a special guest on the show. Shana Pennington is an adult child of a blended family who is passionate about sharing her story. She’s almost 40 now and has a family of her own, which makes her insights into the blended family experience especially interesting.
When Shana’s parents got divorced, they moved far away from each other, suddenly making it so that Shanna only saw her father a couple times a year. However, Shana reflects on the distance as something that was actually good for the family, as now they all come together happy and healed without animosity.
Shana and I discuss the importance of being intentional with your relationships – both the new ones and the old. We’ll talk about the beautiful side of divorce that creates the opportunity for children to be around more love – which is always an awesome thing, right? Tune in to hear Shana’s thoughts on happiness, responsibility, and harmony – and hear what she’d tell her younger self.
01:00 – 04:00 – Introducing today’s guest and her blended family experience
04:00 – 07:30 – Her relationships with her siblings and parents over her lifetime
07:30 – 10:00 – What helped Shana see things differently
10:00 – 15:30 – Seeking harmony and some tips for parents
15:30 – 19:00 – Reframing divorce and handling new family dynamics
19:00 – 24:00 – Advice for divorced parents
24:00 – 27:00 – How her experience has affected her marriage and parenting
- Appreciate the time you have with family.
- As people get older, it’s hard to stay connected – blended or not.
- Be intentional.
- Recognize the good that has come from your new situation.
- Time heals but time with others heals even faster.
- Don’t push people away. Be open instead.
- Give grace, remove animosity, and seek to achieve harmony.
- Ask: “What kind of relationship do I want with this person?”
- Keep the kids out of adult stuff.
- Divorce has a beautiful side that can be recognized and celebrated.
- You are responsible for your own happiness.
- “Be intentional.”
- “Life is about relationships.”
- “It’s not worth it to live in the past.”
3 Interesting Clips:
- 06:19 – 07:03 – On recognizing the good in life.
- 12:39 – 13:12 – Tips for parents.
- 19:13– 20:05 – Advice for parents.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always
And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast.
Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!