Today’s episode is from my recent interview with Melissa on The Blended Family podcast. We talked about all the funny stuff that comes up when raising teens and how the way boys and girls mature differently. What a roller coaster!
We also discuss my relationship with my ex and how I’ve handled negativity in the past. I’ve had to learn how to control my reactions – and it hasn’t always been easy. But it’s important to be cordial to my kid’s parent – not just for them, but for my own peace, too.
Having a harmonious blended family takes effort. And it’s always evolving. We work towards that harmony by spending quality alone time with each of our kids – biological and non – so we feel bonded and connected. Tune in to hear my thoughts on discipline, time management, and being an entrepreneurial blended family mom.
01:00 – 08:00 – Raising teenagers and the difference between boys and girls
08:00 – 14:00 – Summer’s relationship with her ex and how she handles negativity
14:00 – 19:00 – Controlling our reactions and learning to be friendly
19:00 – 25:30 – Spending alone time with the kids
25:30 – 29:00 – Dealing with different rules and discipline at different households
29:00 – 37:30 – How Summer harmonizes business and family
- Hormones and puberty vary from kid to kid.
- Enjoy peace while you’ve got it!
- It’s challenging to navigate the relationship with your ex after blending.
- It’s important to establish boundaries with your ex.
- Talk it out and remember what needs to be accomplished.
- We can only control ourselves and our reaction.
- Have respect for your ex and understand your obligations.
- It hurts kids to see their parents fighting.
- Have 1 on 1 time with your all your children at least once a quarter.
- You, your ex, and your spouses ex are bound to have different rules for the kids.
- Determine who will discipline the kids and how.
- It’s important to practice time management and ask for help when you need it.
- You can’t be what you need to be if you’re run ragged.
- “The natural reaction is to fire back.” -Summer
- “If you can learn to keep yourself calm and peaceful it makes your world better.” – Melissa
- “I feel that part of the reason why I have a good relationship with my step kids is because I’m not always on them.” – Summer
3 Interesting Clips:
- 08:10 – 09:09 – On relationships with exes and respecting boundaries.
- 16:24 – 16:52 – On faking it a bit in front of the kids.
- 26:13 – 27:12 – On disciplining step-kids and determining who is the disciplinarian.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always
And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast.
Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!