I’m doing something a little bit different for today’s episode. A while ago, I read an article on ScaryMommy.com titled “10 Things No One Tells You About Having a Blended Family” by Lindsey Mattingly. I’ve thought about it a lot since then and thought it’d be fun to share.
In today’s episode, I’ll read the article then discuss it – book club-style – in hopes that it’ll help shed light on some very real, very raw things that come with blended family life. I have to say, the 10 things Lindsey points out are spot-on and I can relate to each and every one of them.
Like the fact that blended family life comes with no road map. Even still, years after our marriage, Mike and I find ourselves writing our own road map for our blended family journey. And you will, too. Tune in to hear the 10 things no one tells you about blended family life, and hear how we’ve managed through them in our own way.
00:30 – 03:00 – Introducing today’s topic: An article I read on ScaryMommy.com
03:00 – 07:30 – The article “10 Things Nobody Tells You About Having a Blended Family”
07:30 – 13:00 – On prioritizing and being set in your ways
13:00 – 19:00 – On comparisons and jealously
19:00 – 24:30 – On loving your step-kids and observations about your own
24:30 – 29:00 – On forgiving easier and being disappointed about the big fuss
29:00 – 34:00 – On being private and having no road map
Takeaways (10 things from the article):
- You will have a much more difficult time putting your marriage first.
- You are more set in your ways than you realize.
- You will have a hard time not comparing this life to the life you had before.
- You will be jealous of the ex.
- You will love his children.
- You will never be comfortable with even the slightest negative comment about your kids, even if it comes from the man you have promised to love no matter what.
- You forgive easier.
- You will be disappointed that there isn’t the big fuss.
- You will become more private about things.
- You will have no road map.
- “Life happens, things happen, and balance doesn’t mean everyone has equal amounts of attention.” – Summer
- “The things that used to stress me out years ago don’t anymore.” – Summer
- “The more you give each other that love, the more it grows.” – Summer
3 Interesting Clips:
- 07:48 – 08:30 – On kids and marriage being a priority.
- 19:25 – 19:46 – On loving your step-kids.
- 30:38 – 31:29 – On having no road map and creating your own.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always
And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast.
Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!