Today, I’m talking about a subject that I know many of you want to hear about… It’s a little thing called technology. Our little ones (or not-so-little ones) have access to a crazy number of devices these days—and it can all be a bit overwhelming.
I’m taking this episode to touch on all of it. Mike and I, like many parents, have had our concerns with technology. I think we all have the same fears. Is it making my child less active? Is it affecting their relationships with friends and family? Is it affecting their social skills? It’s hard to give a solid answer to any of those questions, but I think we all know that these devices do have an effect on our children.
In this episode, I discuss what kind of rules we should (or should not) be making around technology for our children. And let’s be real — technology isn’t all bad. I also touch on all the benefits of technology that we often overlook, and how we can teach them about all the good stuff they can do on their devices while limiting the bad stuff. It’s all about communication.
00:50 — 04:40 – The 4 concerns we all have with technology and our children
04:40 — 07:00 – There is value in these devices, until they become dependent
07:00 — 10:00 – When and how we’ve established rules
10:00 — 13:30 – The double-edged sword that is technology
13:30 — 16:00 – The value of open communication and having them hear it from you
16:00 — 22:00 – It’s all about balance
- We all have the same concerns with technology.
- We still had TV and video games growing up (but it’s a bit different now).
- Don’t be quick to judge other parents and their rules around devices.
- There’s value in keeping your children occupied with their devices.
- You need to establish some rules around technology.
- Open communication is key.
- Forewarning means your children hear it from you first (not their friends).
- Miscommunication from texting is a real problem.
- Think about what your kids are doing on their devices (it’s not always bad)!
- Setting rules allows them to be in control of their time.
- “As much as we monitor, there’s still stuff they’re going to see.”
- “There’s a little bit more courage that comes behind sending a text.”
- “Balance is different for everyone”
- “You have every right to make rules about what they’re doing.”
3 Interesting Clips:
- 02:05 — 02:57 – This is not an entirely new issue.
- 04:48 — 05:52 – Devices can be useful to a point.
- 13:05 — 13:51 – They’re going to see it either way.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast. Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!