When children in a blended family have to share a home, a lot of issues and complexities can come into play. Today I’m flying solo to share tips on making this challenging living situation a bit easier and helping the kids come to terms with sharing space in a fair and inclusive way.
Listen in as I discuss some of the issues my own blended family encountered, as well as things you can do to avoid problems with sharing a space. You’ll learn how to make everyone feel more included and at home through creating a new space that the kids can share their input on, creating space when there’s not much extra room, and more.
01:00 — 05:33 – The difficulties of sharing a space.
05:33 – 07:15 – Solutions to help prevent frustration, tears, and fights.
07:15 – 08:07 – Starting fresh and giving the kids input.
08:07 – 08:53 – How to create space when there’s not a lot of extra room.
08:53 – 10:18 – How important it is to give children a voice.
10:56 – 13:07 – Another way to get that new ownership feel.
13:07 – 14:56 – Advice for TV and entertainment sharing.
14:56 – 16:50 – Eliminating challenge and threat.
- The general difficulties of being in a space that was not always yours.
- What to do when you are not moving into a completely new space together.
- How to create all-new spaces in an old space.
- The importance of having input.
- Why clearing out certain spaces can give a fresh feel for everyone.
- “Kids have difficulties being in each other’s turf.”
- “Think about creating an all-new space for everyone within that one space.”
- “We want to feel excited and at home and in a place that we have made our own.”
3 Interesting Clips:
- 01:59 — 02:34 – Our personal story of moving into the same space.
- 04:15 – 05:33 – “Hey, this isn’t your space,” and the different ways kids react.
- 08:53 – 10:18 – Giving kids a voice and an input on their space.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always
And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast.
Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!