Most of the questions we have been getting are related to high-conflict co-parenting from people who say they’re struggling with co-parenting with a narcissist. So in this episode that is what I will be addressing. And though I cannot tell you if you are actually dealing with a narcissist, I can help you with identifying narcissistic traits and dealing with them in a way that will move things forward and keep the peace as much as possible.
Listen in as I share how narcissists are affected by having kids, why what they say to you isn’t about you, and why it’s so important to have support in dealing with the related co-parenting struggles. You will learn strategies, tips, tools, and boundaries that will make the co-parenting process much smoother and more effective.
1:20 – 4:05 – Introducing narcissism and what it feels like to co-parent with someone who has narcissistic traits.
4:05 – 6:50 – How to work with a narcissist as a good co-parent.
6:50 – 9:00 – What a narcissistic parent looks like.
9:00 – 11:53 – What a great co-parenting relationship looks like.
11:53 – 29:28 – 10 tips to get through co-parenting as peacefully as possible.
- How narcissism affects a parent or changes when a child is involved.
- Why a co-parenting friendship is not possible with a narcissist.
- The importance of finding a way to work together to parent in a healthy and productive way.
- A parenting style that results in less conflict.
- Tips to work through high conflict and offer as much peace as possible.
- “If you have ever felt terrified, humiliated, frustrated, and hopeless, you probably know what it’s like to co-parent with a narcissist or someone with narcissistic traits.”
- “A narcissist doesn’t see that there’s a problem with their behavior, which makes rational problem-solving nearly impossible.”
- “Dealing with a narcissistic personality is going to get to you. You need to have a sounding board, especially in the form of a therapist who is familiar with the narcissistic personality because they will help keep you sane and be there to reassure you that you are not crazy.”
3 Interesting Clips:
- 3:35 – 4:05 – Whether they are a narcissist or not—here’s how to deal with the traits.
- 7:10 – 7:36 – Why a narcissist’s behavior will often get worse with children in the picture.
- 12:25 – 13:10 – An app that will help you keep conflict to a minimum and communicate clearly.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always
And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast.
Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!