Today I am speaking with the founder of a pretty widely known online platform: Stepmomming.com. Kristen Skiles is truly the ultimate stepmom, and if you have been following influencers and leaders in this community, then you probably already know who she is. We will discuss the hardships, as well as the beauty in being a stepmother and how to overcome the negativity placed on stepmoms.
Listen in as we talk about the importance of setting boundaries and compromising to ensure everyone is comfortable as you move toward co-parenting. You will learn what it is like to stepmom when you do not have children of your own and what it is like to be the second wife. If you have just embarked on a journey of becoming a stepparent, this is the episode for you.
00:55 – 6:35 – An introduction to Kristen and what we will be discussing in this podcast.
6:35 – 9:02 – Why building this community was so important to her.
9:02 – 17:03 – How she coped with the new responsibilities of being a stepmom.
17:03 – 29:39 – The changes she has seen in herself since becoming a stepmom and becoming someone’s second wife.
29:39 – 34:40 – How to determine what is okay to share online.
34:40 – 44:07 – The negativity around the word “stepmom.”
44:07 – 47:30 – How to handle the days when your stepchild is with their other parent.
- What it’s like to be a stepmom when you don’t have other children.
- The negative connotations to the word “stepmom.”
- The importance of setting boundaries.
- How to co-parent with less friction.
- How to wear the title of stepmom with honor.
- “I built it up to be a fairy tale before reality hit me smack dab in the face.”
- “Nobody is as perfect as the person I was portraying and comparing myself to.”
- “I’m a proud stepmom, and I get that Disney got it wrong.”
3 Interesting Clips:
- 9:45 – 11:28 – How Kristen became a stepmom and how she coped with the new responsibilities.
- 17:28 – 21:16 – Growth she has seen in herself since becoming a stepmother.
- 26:58 – 27:44 – How she stopped comparing herself to her partner’s ex.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always
And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast.
Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!
Find the Everything Always Podcast wherever you listen!