Parental alienation is a big topic—so much so that we have split this episode into two parts so we can fit in talking about all of it. In part 1, we discuss the signs of parental alienation and how to recognize the ways and areas where it tends to show up. We will also cover cultural shifts that have taken place and how they have caused an increase in parental alienation.
During this time of quarantine and staying at home, many of the issues families have are amplified because there is no space or escape like school or work. Blending families is really hard, and we want to make sure to share what we have learned along the way so we can help each other get through this time of uncertainty and change.
2:10 – 3:28 – The problems that come with being “stuck” together.
3:28 – 5:02 – What parental alienation is and why it’s so important to pay attention to it.
5:02 – 11:35 – Signs of parental alienation and how to find a healthy perspective and solution.
11:35 – 16:29 – The facts and studies behind parental alienation and the lasting damage it can cause.
16:29 – 21:13 – Additional signs of parental alienation and how to recognize how it typically looks.
21:13 – 34:20 – The lasting effects and patterns of alienation and why you should never give up.
34:20 – 49:40 – The changes in culture that shifted parenting.
- Challenges for blended families during a time like this.
- How parental alienation can creep up on you.
- The shifts in culture that have added to parental alienation.
- The child’s role in parental alienation.
- Solutions and ways to minimize or cope with parental alienation.
- “Being imperfect has led us to learning lessons, and our goal is to share those lessons with you guys.”
- “As with a lot of truth that we discover in our lives, sometimes you have to become aware of it in really small doses and accept that it’s even a possibility in order to do the research and heal.”
- “Just because you aren’t seeing things on the outside and someone seems to be coping doesn’t mean those feelings don’t exist on the inside. We as parents are so responsible for really seeking to understand what our kids are going through.”
3 Interesting Clips:
- 3:57 – 4:24 – The dangers of parental alienation and how it can be hard to see.
- 15:13 – 16:30 – The continuous damage parental alienation can cause even after it has stopped.
- 26:20 – 27:04 – Why you should never give up when being alienated.
- Children Held Hostage by Stanley Clawar and Brynne Rivlin
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always
And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast.
Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!