Christina McGhee is a trainer, speaker, and divorce-parenting expert with over two decades worth of experience. She is also the author of Parenting Apart: How Separated and Divorced Parents Can Raise Happy and Secure Kids, a book has helped many parents—including myself—get through divorces while maintaining a healthy relationship with their former spouse. Today Christina joins the show to discuss how you too can create a positive environment for your children while dealing with the struggles and hardships of separation.
Listen in as we discuss the role that time plays when it comes to healing the wounds caused by divorce, as well as why connecting with people who have been in similar situations can really help you get through these tough times. You will learn how to not only handle when your ex-spouse is speaking badly about you to your children, but also how to avoid doing so yourself. If you have recently gone through a divorce or you are wanting to co-parent in the healthiest way possible, this is the episode for you.
00:51 – 7:40 – Introducing Christina and how she got started on this career path.
7:40 – 13:59 – Whether time really does heal all.
3:59 – 18:48 – How to respond to your ex-spouse talking badly about you to your children.
18:48 – 33:38 – How to co-parent without compromising your values.
33:38 – 38:30 – What you can do to communicate with your ex-partner about organizing schedules.
38:30 – 46:06 – Advice for when your ex-partner is rude to you in front of your child.
46:06 – 51:50 – How to create boundaries with your ex-partner to make your current partner feel more secure.
- The importance of remembering you are not alone in this.
- How to avoid talking bad about your ex.
- Why not compromising your values is key.
- How to organize schedules with your ex-partner.
- Why you must validate the feelings of your children.
- “As kids get older and time passes, the dust settles and those emotions that we really feel so strongly in the early stages tend to die down.”
- “Consider that, in order to accept your truth, they have to reject the other parent’s truth.”
- “Don’t compromise your values.”
3 Interesting Clips:
- 8:44 – 11:05 – Whether “time” is really the answer to healing the wounds caused by divorce.
- 25:38 – 28:12 – How to support your child’s extra-curricular activities—even if you or your ex-partner do not like them.
- 38:30 – 40:40 – How to react to your ex-partner being rude to you in front of your children.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always
And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast.
Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!