Today I’m talking about something that is really common but rarely gets talked about out loud: what to do when you don’t vibe with your step-kids. It’s a struggle that many of us deal with, whether we’re dating somebody with kids or we’ve already blended our families, and it can not only cause disruption in the home but also break up relationships.
There’s a lot of guilt around parenting already without adding in guilt over not immediately loving and accepting your partner’s kids. Listen in as I talk about the struggle of balancing the love you have for your partner with any negative feelings you have for their kids, some of the common reasons why step-parents and step-kids clash, and what you can do about it to keep your home’s harmony – and your sanity – intact.
2:20 – 9:44 – Why it’s sometimes a struggle to love your step-kids.
9:45 – 11:57 – The reasons why you may not be vibing with your step-kids.
11:58 – 15:20 – What you can do about negative feelings towards your step-kids.
15:21 – 20:38 – How to adjust your mindset and practice acceptance.
20:39 – 31:01 – Tips and advice to get you the desired outcome from the relationship with your step-kids.
- Why you may have negative feelings towards your step-kids.
- What you can do to positively change your relationship with your step-kids.
- Why practicing acceptance can make all the difference to your mindset and your relationships.
- Advice on how to get the desired outcome from the relationship with your step-kids.
- “If you think of negativity, dislike, and angst—it’s actually resistance.”
- “When you’re softer, you are more approachable and you change how people are behaving towards you.”
- “Being in control of your own positivity will eventually impact others around you.”
- “When you focus on positive things, you start to see more positive things.”
- “No matter how much you love someone, there are things that they’re going to do that are going to drive you crazy. But in a really good, strong relationship, all of the good stuff overpowers that.”
3 Interesting Clips:
- 15:51 – 16:22 – Why your negative feelings are really resistance to something.
- 21:42 – 22:43 – Why your approach can make all the difference to the outcome you get.
- 26:28 – 27:05 – Why putting yourself in your step-kid’s shoes can create positive change in your relationship.
- Connect with us: Instagram | Facebook | YouTube
- Everything Always Episode 2: The Story of Us. The Story of You
- Everything Always Episode 5: Bonding With Your Step Kids
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always
And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast.
Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!