As most couples know, being in a relationship is not always sunshine and rainbows. There are disagreements and compromises that sometimes do not end in a productive or positive way. So how do you fight fair with your partner to ensure everyone walks away happy and comfortable with the outcome?
Today we are discussing how to have a healthy fight and the steps you can take now to prevent a negative ending. We will give examples of unhealthy fights we have had in the past, as well as how we worked through these times. Listen in to learn the importance of toning down the defense to allow both sides the opportunity to express their feelings. If you want to improve your communication with your significant other, this is the episode for you.
1:25 – 3:10 – The importance of healthy communication.
3:10 – 9:20 – The things that have not worked in our relationship while fighting.
9:20 – 17:07 – How to communicate each partner’s feelings in a healthy way.
17:07 – 21:18 – What you can do to understand each other and how each partner processes things.
21:18 – 30:58 – Key takeaways for having a positive disagreement.
- Everyone fights.
- The importance of healthy communication.
- Acknowledge your partner’s point of view.
- Make requests, not complaints.
- The importance of staying on topic.
- “All people fight.”
- “I think through the practice of understanding, typically you will find common ground.”
- “Sometimes, it’s not about fixing the problem. Sometimes, it’s about having the person know that you understand.”
- “Instead of looking at you two against each other, look at you two together against the problem.”
3 Interesting Clips:
- 9:20 – 10:00 – Why it’s important to give your partner the opportunity to express how they’re feeling—and let them know that you understand what they’re saying.
- 10:57 – 12:08 – One thing that has really worked well for us when communicating while upset.
- 15:55 – 16:05 – What to do when you’re frustrated about something and you’re in the right.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always
And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast.
Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!