Today is a special episode because we’re coming to you live from the 215 freeway in California, which is a first for us! We’re piggybacking off episode 47, where Summer discussed the three different parenting styles and how consequences fit into each style.
Listen in as we dive into why we chose the parenting style that we did, how we handle consequences with our children, and a few real-life stories from the parenting trenches. Although we’re not experts, we’re sharing the things that have worked particularly well for us as a blended family, and we hope it will work for you as well.
6:25 – 9:40 – A recap of the different parenting styles.
9:40 – 12:40 – Why we chose the authoritarian parenting style for our family.
12:40 – 16:30 – The parenting styles that we grew up with and what we’ve adopted from our parents.
16:30 – 17:30 – Why the language we use is so important, especially when it comes to talking about failure.
17:30 – 20:20 – A moment where Summer chose not to bail her son out because it was a great learning experience for him.
20:20 – 21:35 – A story from Mike on an equally important lesson his daughter learned.
21:35 – 23:55 – Why it’s important to teach your kids that there are consequences to their actions.
23:55 – 28:25 – Different parenting approaches for teens and younger children.
28:25 – 29:50 – Consequences vs. punishment and how to deal with consequences when you’re an authoritative parent.
- Why the authoritative parenting style is especially great for step-families.
- How to reframe the concept of losing and turn failure into a life lesson.
- Why it’s important to show our children respect, even when doing the tough parenting that is sometimes needed.
- Real-life examples from Summer and Mike of parenting techniques that have worked for them.
- How consistency in parenting creates more peace, harmony, and self-confidence in kids.
- “We’re going to give you the room to fail. We’re going to give you the room to achieve. We’re going to give you just enough slack where we’re going to give you the opportunity to either succeed or not, and enough rope to do that.”
- “You’re either going to win or lose. If you want to win, you have to do these things, and here’s the support to do it.”
- “Failure used to be such a bad word, and if you actually reframe that and realize that you are going to lose at things, but there are amazing opportunities to grow and actually reach more of your potential because of those losses.”
3 Interesting Clips:
- 6:25 – 9:15 – The different parenting styles.
- 22:50 – 23:15 – What Summer respects and admires most about her parents and the way they raised her.
- 28:30 – 28:45 – Why it’s important to differentiate between punishment and consequences.
- Everything Always Episode 47: Different Parenting Styles
- Connect with us: Instagram | Facebook | YouTube
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always
And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast.
Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!