This episode is a special one because we’re speaking our truth—or rather, Mike is speaking his truth on the questions that have come to us from listeners. You’ve asked us about dating with kids, dating someone who has kids when you don’t, and the struggles with co-parenting after divorce, so Mike is going to tackle all that and more.
Listen in to get his perspective on the struggles of dating when you have teenagers (and the struggles with teens in general!), how to co-parent respectfully when you don’t agree with the rules your ex-partner has set in their home, and how to set boundaries that everyone is comfortable with in a new relationship. This is a good one, so go ahead and get comfortable because the truth is coming out!
4:06 – 6:36 – What Mike has found to be the hardest part of blending our families.
6:37 – 9:53 – The best part of blending our families.
9:54 – 12:00 – What to do when a stepchild is not interested in spending time with their parent’s partner.
12:01 15:20 – How to have a dialogue with your partner about their parenting style.
15:21 – 17:28 – Advice for dealing with insecurities around being friends with your ex.
18:24 – 20:49 – The struggles of dating when your partner has teenagers—and how to know whether to go all-in or run the other way.
20:50 – 21:29 – Some of the questions you should be discussing with your partner before getting serious.
21:30 – 24:43 – How to co-parent respectfully when each house has different rules.
24:44 – 26:23 – How to know when to step in as a parent to your stepchildren.
26:24 – 31:33 – What to consider when your goals don’t align with your partner’s.
- The best and most challenging parts of blending families.
- How to handle when a stepchild is not interested in getting to know you.
- The struggles of dating someone who has teenagers.
- How to handle disagreements over parenting styles with your partner—especially when you don’t have kids yourself.
- Advice for dealing with insecurities about your past relationship.
- How to co-parent when you disagree with your ex-partner’s parenting decisions.
- What to do when your life goals are vastly different from your partner’s.
- “The challenges that you’re having now that seem like the biggest thing are not going to be the same ones later.”
- “Nobody said it’s going to be easy, so don’t think that it is. But that dynamic is going to change over time.”
- “I think if you’re not a parent, don’t be judgy in terms of what the discipline thing is.”
3 Interesting Clips:
- 10:22 – 11:00 – Playing the long game when it comes to relationships with stepchildren.
- 16:00 – 16:40 – How to determine acceptable boundaries within new relationships to keep everyone comfortable and secure.
- 19:55 – 20:16 – Accepting your partner’s whole package in a new relationship.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always
And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast.
Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!