Beginning a blended family can feel overwhelming and hard to get the hang of, so today we’ve got Theresa and Corion Lucas joining us on the show to share their super valuable insight on creating a strong family dynamic. They open up about their story of bringing their family together and offer advice on how to take care of each other—as well as yourself—throughout the difficult and beautiful moments so each family member can adjust and thrive.
Listen in as Theresa talks about her experience entering into the family and finding ways to bond with Corion’s daughters, as well as how she found a place for herself in the family. You’ll learn how they set realistic expectations as they navigate transitions, emotions, and time management. They also share some really great ideas on how to bring kids in and make them a part of the transition.
2:45 – 5:18 – How Theresa and Corion met and what their family dynamic is like.
5:19 – 8:04 – The early stages of blending the family.
8:05 – 11:56 – Important decisions to make early on.
11:57 – 18:18 – The bonding stages and the ups and downs involved.
18:19 – 22:19 – How to keep sane and find some sort of balance.
22:20 – 30:45 – Setting expectations in advance and communicating well.
30:46 – 34:53 – Theresa’s coaching program for stepmoms.
34:54 – 42:25 – How to allow your relationship to flourish through all the craziness.
- How to deal with the ups and downs of blending families.
- Knowing where to draw the line when it comes to big decisions like adding more children to the family.
- Finding balance with all the directions you feel pulled and the pressure of a new family dynamic.
- How Theresa and Corion began the transition from separate lives to blended lives.
- The importance of communicating well and setting realistic expectations for everyone.
- How Theresa helps people navigate careers and being step-parents.
- Keeping the relationship strong through the ups and downs.
- “In blended families, you’re going to have a really great day and then you’re going to have a crappy 2 hours and then you’ll continue having a great day and just deal with the punches as they come.” – Theresa Lucas
- “I was meant to be a mother, but not to have biological children.” – Theresa Lucas
- “We didn’t have a lot of people to lean on when we decided to do this, so it’s kinda like we’re writing the book as we go along.” – Corion Lucas
3 Interesting Clips:
- 6:29 – 6:39 – Setting reasonable expectations for dealing with transition and emotion.
- 13:24 – 13:43 – The value of family therapy and allowing the kids to feel heard.
- 19:11 – 19:48 – Giving the time needed to yourself and the kids.
- Connect with us: Instagram | Facebook | YouTube
- Happy Go Lucas
- With These Words by Theresa Lucas
- Everything Always Podcast Website
Subscribe & Review in iTunes!
Are you subscribed to our podcast? If not, we would strongly suggest you do. This way you won’t miss a thing! Subscribe here: Everything Always
And now for the pretty please with a Bordeaux Maraschino Cherry on top. We would be so incredibly grateful if you left us a review on for Everything Always as well. This will help other parents and families like you find our podcast.
Plus, it’s fun for Mike and I to sit and read them together on date night! Just click here, click open in iTunes, select “Ratings and Reviews”, tell us your favorite moment and best take away and we will send a huge cyber hug and kiss right to you!